Sunday, February 28, 2010

America: Relative, Not Absolute

To me, America is home. The place I grew up, got an education, and the place where I have a future. It's a land of opportunity, somewhere where anyone can do anything; impossible is nothing. Living in this place, we know no different. But coming from another country that is so radically different is an entirely different story. We have no idea how difficult it is to start from nothing in this country. Watching the documentary about the Lost Boys made me frustrated because of how difficult it was for the boys to live normal lives. They were basically left to fend for themselves, which made them long for the small comforts of their home. This just made me realize how much we take for granted here. And the fact is, many of us know it, but don't do anything about it. I know there is a limit to what one person is capable of doing, but until I saw this documentary I wasn't even aware of the Lost Boys and the hardships they faced. I wanted to know more about them and where they are now. So I searched for Peter and Santino online, and found that they both had received scholarships to college. And while things are most likely still a bit difficult for them, it was comforting to know that they have found success, however big or small, in a place where they didn't know if they were going to be able to make it and so many things were stacked against them. Oh, and Santino finally got his driver's license.

No comments:

Post a Comment