Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sociopoly

When we were playing sociopoly during class, it was very eye-opening to how definitive social class is. I was the upper-upper class, and I didn't have to worry about money during the whole game. I was basically given wealth from the beginning, so I had it easy. It's just like real life. People in the highest classes inherit things from their parents, so they don't really have to worry about their financial situation. And when I was sent to jail, it was very easy for me to get out, because realistically I would have a good lawyer or be treated differently due to my situation in life. I almost felt bad when people had to pay me when they landed on things that I owned, because I was taking what little money they had. I also felt that though I was at the top of the spectrum, everyone else had much less money than me. There was a significant jump from the upper-middle class to me. And although no one went into debt or went on welfare, the lower classes barely had any money, and had to basically only save, and not spend. They had to keep what they had just to stay in. I felt like this game was such a good depiction of today's social class system, because it was so easy to see how the system stays the way it is.

1 comment: