Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fair Treatment in Schools

I went to a middle school where there was a high population of Hispanic students. To me, it was obvious that the people I hung around with were many times separated in higher classes. I was in accelerated classes, and it was rare that a Hispanic student was in one as well. However, I still got to know some of these students in classes like gym and art, and knew that many of them were capable of doing the work that I was doing. Granted, some of them just didn't apply themselves, but in a lot of cases, I thought, it was because of the kids in their classes. The students who could be smart, but weren't in the right classes, were hindered because of the fact that they were distracted by the other kids in these core classes. I believe that if they were in the classes they should have been in, they would have succeeded. It also seemed difficult for them to be put into higher classes in the first place. It was always just recommended what classes they should take, which didn't give them a chance to improve their skills in any way. The activity we did in class reminded me of this, and how these types of problems still happen today. Everyone should have the right to be treated fairly when it comes to their education, because it truly is what you make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment